Trauma Headquarters and ADSG
March 29, 2024, 05:11:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: "The important thing to remember is that if you don't have that inspired enthusiasm that is contagious........ whatever you do have is also contagious."  Danny Cox

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing a Simpler Life--Purpose Driven Life Devotional  (Read 7349 times)
artsymominsc
Oldtimer

Awards
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:25:35 AM »

Choosing a Simpler Life
by Rick Warren

. . . a time to embrace and a time to refrain. Ecclesiastes 3:5 (NIV)

You’d think that living in Southern California means I’m surrounded by people who live a laid-back lifestyle. The truth is just the opposite: Most of the people I know are trying to cram more and more into each day.

For instance, a couple of years ago, I was with a group of friends driving down the interstate. At one point, I looked around and realized most of us were engaged in some activity other than talking to each other. Two people were on their cell phones; another was working on his BlackBerry; and a fourth was focused on his laptop computer.

As a joke, I declared I felt left out. I called the driver, who was sitting right next to me, and we chatted together on our cell phones for a few minutes! The point of our traveling together in the van was so we could grab time to talk face-to-face! Yet we felt pressed to get it all done.

That’s when I realized the truth – we couldn’t get it all done, and God never intended for us to make completing a to-do list the purpose of our lives.

The fact is, there are many things we think we must do that really are not worth doing. My point is this: You won’t simplify your life by getting an electronic organizer. You won’t even find it by convincing your neighbor, who makes Martha Stewart look like a sloth, to give you tips about coordinating your activities while still wearing a perfect dress and pearls like Beaver Cleaver’s mom.

Simplifying is really about choices – prioritizing what is important – and then sticking to those choices no matter how tempting it is to add more to your to-do list. In fact, take those tempting activities and put them on a list of things not to do.

You are the only one who can assume responsibility for your time and clarify what’s really important to you.

Now maybe you’re thinking, “But I have to take care of the kids,” or “I have to get this report done by Friday.” I’m not naïve about the pressures many people feel today, but it may be that those things – your children, your work – are the priorities you keep on your to-do list, and you move other things to the not-to-do list.

© 2008 Purpose Driven Life. All rights reserved.

adsglinda
Administrator
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Love is Patient, Love is Kind... 1 Cor 13

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 11:04:24 AM »

What a great devotional!  I think in today's world we all struggle with this!  Especially with special needs kids!!  It is so easy to get caught up trying to get everything done!  I've been guilty of it over and over and over again.  Each time I realize it, I back up, let things go off the list, go back to priorities and God.  It sure is not something I have mastered yet but I keep working on it! 

This is such a good devotional.
blessingsindisguise
Emperor/Empress

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:45:01 PM »

awesome, thank you so much.

blessings

courage does not always roar.
sometimes courage is the quiet voice
at the end of the day saying,
"i will try again tomorrow".